ORRA telephone number – 082 552 3006

Who we are...

ORRA was started in 1977 by the 4x4 ATV Club (then the Jeep Club of Southern Africa), the Land Rover Owners Club of Southern Africa and the Four Wheel Drive Club of Southern Africa.

The first radios that were licenced to ORRA by the then Post Office for use in the 4x4 environment was the 27MHz (CB radios) in 1977.

In 1979 the Post Office decided not to reissue licences to ORRA for the 27MHz frequency but to change the licence for use by ORRA to the 29MHz frequency that is still being used today.

In 2005 ORRA decided to approach ICASA with a request for the issuing of VHF licence for use in the 4x4 environment as well. In 2006 ICASA issued the first two frequencies to ORRA.

During 2011 ORRA approached ICASA for an additional VHF frequency. This request was approved and a third VHF frequency was licenced. This resulted in that ORRA decided to extend the use of the VHF band and 9 channels were allocated for use by its members.

In 2018 ORRA obtained licenses for our current VHF frequencies in Botswana and Namibia. The Communication Regulatory Authorities on both Namibia and Botswana have after protracted negotiations agreed to license ORRA to use the same frequencies that we are currently licensed for in South Africa, in their Countries.

This implies that ORRA may authorise its members to use the ORRA license for their VHF radios in Namibia.

The constitution of ORRA stipulates that the founding clubs are in control of ORRA and responsible for the effective use of the licences issued to ORRA.

Bona Fide off-road clubs or organisations must approach ORRA directly for recognition. When a club or organization has been recognized, the club or organisation’s individual members may approach ORRA for radio user authorisations. These user authorisations allow the individual members to make use of the ORRA frequencies within the boundaries of the Republic of South Africa.

In as far as Botswana is concerned their laws provide that each unit must be licensed. In this regard ORRA has obtained a license. The ORRA license will be used as basis to apply on behalf of our members for a temporary license for the said member.

Members planning trips to Namibia and/or Botswana must contact our administrator for assistance to obtain the necessary documentation. The process must be initiated at least four weeks before your date of departure.

A member will have to complete an internal application form and provide proof of payment of the relevant fees in order for the Administrator to initiate the process to either issue an additional authorization for Namibia and/or apply for a temporary license for Botswana.

These documents must be accompanied by your ORRA User Authorisation Card when visiting these countries. The User Authorisation Card on its own will not be sufficient proof of licensing in Namibia and/or Botswana.